Are you dissatisfied with your smile? Did you once love your bright white smile but now cringe when you see your dull or stained teeth? As we age, our teeth naturally discolor, whether from smoking, the buildup of the foods we eat or the liquids we drink, or from a thinning of the enamel over time. Changing the color of your teeth can take years off of your appearance. With that desire in mind, you may be looking at utilizing professional teeth whitening, or you may be interested in taking it a step further and getting dental veneers.
Both dental veneers and professional teeth whitening can change your smile for the better, but do you know which one you should choose? Both can lighten your teeth by many shades of white, and both can appear and feel like your natural teeth; however, there are some things to keep in mind.
Teeth whitening pros:
- Easy and fast – you’ll see a difference after only one appointment
- Gentle and safe for teeth – your natural teeth are not permanently altered
Teeth whitening cons:
- Not a permanent lightening – you’ll have to repeat the procedure over time
- Not a fix for any tooth imperfections – only the color will change, not the shape or length of the tooth or chips or cracks
Dental veneer pros:
- Extremely stain-resistant – the materials used for dental veneers won’t discolor or stain
- Can correct gaps and shape issues – dental veneers can correct crooked or gapped teeth by changing the size, shape, length and more of your tooth
Dental veneer cons:
- Alters your natural tooth permanently – because dental veneers must be applied after a tooth has been shaped or shaved down, some of your tooth’s enamel is permanently removed to accommodate the veneer
- Can pop off, break or necessitate replacement – dental veneers may dislodge or have issues with placement that require replacement by a dentist
Before you make a decision regarding your smile, talk to your cosmetic dentist and get all the information you need to make the decision that’s right for you and your smile.
If you need a dentist in Weston, contact us today